The Office of Multicultural Student Affairs (OMSA) Student Advisory Council is a standing council supporting the Director, comprised of students who represent the College, graduate divisions, and professional schools. The purpose of the Student Advisory Council is to:
- Advise OMSA in its pursuit of student development by providing feedback on programming (social, cultural, and academic), engagement with the community (particularly students, faculty, and staff), and support services.
- Actively seek feedback from multicultural students about their experiences on campus and identify opportunities for collaboration with student organizations.
- Elevate important issues related to diversity and inclusion to OMSA.
- Advocate for the concerns of multicultural student communities, in partnership with OMSA, to the university administration and the student body.
- Interface regularly with UChicago leadership to become apprised of university-wide initiatives, programming and climate issues and provide informed recommendations to OMSA staff.
Goals and Objectives
- Provide feedback to OMSA staff at regularly scheduled meetings on university-wide issues, including topics pertaining to the social, emotional, academic, and professional, needs of multicultural students.
- Create forums and seek invitations for the student body to offer input and express concerns related to diversity and inclusion.
- Identify university stakeholders, including students, faculty, and staff, and engage with these partners to promote OMSA’s vision and objectives.
- Interface with University leadership on a regular basis and promote collaboration.
Roles, Responsibilities, and Accountability
The Student Advisory Council will consist of 8-12 members who are expected to participate in all council meetings and contribute to standing committees (when created) and program planning. There will be 4 meetings per quarter.
Council members who are unable to attend meetings should notify the OMSA Program Coordinator in advance. Members who miss more than 2 meetings over the course of the academic year and/or are unable to actively participate may be asked to step down to ensure continuity.
In addition to the 4 meetings per quarter, council members are required to attend at lesat 2 OMSA sponsored events per quarter. This will ensure familiarity with OMSA programming as we discuss programs and events in our meetings. Please make sure to record your attendance with the OMSA Program Coordinator.
Each council member will serve for one academic year, with the opportunity to reapply. There are no term limits, as experience and familiarity with University structures are important assets. Returning applicants will be asked to reflect on their involvement over the past year of service, including attendance at meetings, active participation, and personal/professional growth. The OMSA staff will review written materials and make final decisions.