This page will be used throughout Spring Quarter for important updates regarding updates and programming for each office and the Center for Identity + Inclusion. Please check back here periodically for changes as this is a live page. Additionally, one of the best ways to receive updates from us is by signing up to our listhost! You can sign up here.
Spring Quarter Programs
- The Long Term: Decarceration and Freedon in the COVID-19 Moment and Beyond
- Tuesday, May 26th, 6:00pm CT via Facebook Live & Zoom Webinar
- Panelists will reflect on the impact of COVID-19 behind bars and contemporary struggles to end death by incarceration, a term that has taken on new meaning in the context of the pandemic. This dialogue builds on the anthology The Long Term: Resisting Life Sentences, Working Toward Freedom and is part of the American Studies Association's new series of Freedom Courses.
- The Center for Identity + Inclusion (CI+I), Center for the Study of Race, Politics & Culture (CSRPC), the Office of Vice Provost Melissa Gilliam, the Office of Diversity & Inclusion in the Biological Sciences Division, the University Community Service Center (UCSC), and the Human Rights Lab of the Pozen Family Center for Human Rights at the University of Chicago are collaborating to present a series of events that address the intersection of Race and COVID-19. These events are open to the public.
- Virtual PenPals Program
- Created by our student staff!
- Do you miss running into fellow students at CI+I and want to re-connect? Are you looking for people to chat with about your classes and helpful resources? Open to making new friends?
Our student staff have created a program called Virtual PenPals. The goal is to connect students 1:1 or in small groups so that wherever you are you are able to find a sense of community, camaraderie, and care.
- A Discussion on Becoming
- Thursday, May 21st, 6:00 - 7:00pm CT
- Please join OMSA for a timely discussion on Michelle Obama’s documentary Becoming. You will receive the Zoom link to the discussion an hour before the meeting.
- OMSA Open Mic
- Friday, May 22nd, 6:00 - 7:00pm CT
- Join your fellow UChicago students in a fun night of music, poetry, and creative expression at OMSA Open Mic Night! Do you have an epic poem you've written about quarantine life? A duet you’ve been wanting to sing with your roommate? A dance routine choreographed in your living room? Sign up today to reserve a spot in the show. (Still on the fence? Don't worry! A few spots for last-minute sign-ups will stay open at the end). All talents and ability levels welcome. This will be an inclusive, judgement-free space to have fun and build community with one another.
LGBTQ Student Life
- PowerPoint Party: Share Your Brilliance!
- Thursday, May 21st, 6:00pm - 7:30pm CT
- Calling all LGBTQ undergraduate and graduate/professional students! LGBTQ Student Life invites queer students to strut your stuff. In under 5 minutes and 20 slides show your community what’s percolating in that beautiful brain of yours. What makes your heart sing? Is it your academic work? A passion project? Your cat? Let’s queer up Zoom with your brilliance.
- Submit an Idea or Join the Audience
- Undocumented Student Ally Training
- Friday May 22nd, 1:00 - 2:30pm CT
- The Undocumented Student Ally Training provides participants with tools and promising practices to support undocumented communities, with a focus on UChicago students. Open to members of the campus community who identify as allies or would like to be identified as allies.
Interested in requesting a training at a different time? Contact us at email@example.com
Do you have any questions or suggestions on our upcoming programming calendar? We want to hear from you! Please submit you ideas to us and Center staff will be in touch as soon as possible.
You can submit ideas here in this Wufoo.