The mission of the Coalition seeks to develop the cross-cultural, collaborative leadership skills of leaders at UChicago by providing students with theoretical and real-life experiences in non-hierarchical leadership for the purpose of creating a shared vision for/and effecting social change. By social change we mean collective efforts that empower individuals and communities to identify and address the underlying cause of social issues.
Through focusing on student group leaders, the program will develop students in the following areas, all of which contribute to creating a collaborative foundation towards building social change:
- Identity and Culture — Understand the narratives of communities of color, queer and trans communities, first-generation, low-income, and undocumented communities, and their intersections. Understand contributions of these communities at UChicago, and the influence dominant and counter narratives have on culture;
- Leadership Development – Provide opportunities to prepare and practice becoming effective leaders to create effective movements for social change;
- Coalition Building and Community — Learn skills in creating community alliances, establish ties between students and student groups from diverse backgrounds, and build a foundation for future collaborative work.
At least one member of your student group executive board must attend each Coalition Meeting. If you are an organization that is affiliated with OMSA, you must attend the Coalition meeting to be eligible to receive funding through the OMSA Allocation Board.
The Coalition is slated to meet twice per quarter, for the total of six meetings per academic year. During the Coalition, student group leaders will be able to network, market, and collaborate with different student groups, learn and develop leadership practices to enact positive social change, and center current social injustices to build coalition with other groups and leaders.
Time and Dates
Coalition meetings will be from 5:30-7:00pm at 5710 S. Woodlawn Ave on the following dates each quarter:
2017 Autumn Quarter:
- Thursday, October 19th
- Thursday, November 9th
2018 Winter Quarter:
- To be announced at the last Coalition meeting in Autumn quarter
2018 Spring Quater:
- To be announced at the last Coalition meeting in Winter quarter
In order to receive access to the Coalition, student groups must submit interest form.